Cycling is a great activity for an individual. Not only are you contributing towards a larger movement which intends to make the planet a cleaner and greener place to live in, but you are also boosting your own health and fitness in the process. For those who like to bike around the city and do so on an almost everyday basis, the exhilarating feel of traversing the traffic while having beat it can get you on a much needed high while acting as a stress buster. But safety is equally important when biking through the city, so keep these few tips in mind to ensure your own safety and those of others:
- If you are riding a city bike with gears, it is important to know what gear is used for what purpose. Front gears are usually for making the big shifts in speed when there is transition to empty roads. The back gears will provide the support and make pedalling easier.
- Knowing when to brake is the most important part of cycling safely through the city. Especially if you ride a bike without gears, knowing when to and how to use the brakes is significant. It is important to use both brakes evenly for a smooth slow down, and the front brake must be handled with care and not slammed on too abruptly. Though moderating the speed before applying the brakes is a much better idea but if you need to make a sudden stop, apply equal pressure on both brakes.
- Always keep your eye on the road ahead as this will help you shift speeds and shift to the lane you want to with greater ease. Bikes can squeeze into the smallest of spaces but you do want to avoid scrapes with other transporters, hence be careful about your speed and the way.
- When going into a turn, don’t forget the golden rule of looking before you go. Avoid taking your bike to the middle when taking a turn and keep to the side you are going on; this will keep you from getting in the way of any other vehicle coming from the other side.
- Most importantly, even though you are riding through the city, it is important to have all the safety gear on. Wear a sturdy helmet and if you can, also the knee and elbow pads.
Biking through the roads something that appeals to you? Get yourself a roadster from Kross Bikes and make those daily commutes stress-free. Choose from our classic designs in sturdy builds and with superior specs to let you sail through the bustling city for a healthier planet and fitter you.
Posted in News by: System Administrator
Thursday, February 23, 2017 6:55:59 PM Asia/Calcutta